Hermiston School District
Support for the school district has been strong from the community. In 2001 voters approved a $39 million building program which included the re-construction of the high school, an additional elementary school, and various district-wide renovations. The voters also approved a $69.9 million bond in 2008. The bond served to replace Armand Larive Middle School, West Park Elementary, and Sunset Elementary.
The school district prides itself on the academic achievement of its students, successful athletic programs, nationally-recognized club and activity organizations, and its exhaustive list of academic and elective opportunities available to students. The District’s partnership with community organizations has been central to its continued success, highlighted by support groups who have provided nearly a half a million dollars to assist students and programs through such venues as the Hermiston Sports Booster Club, Hermiston Education Foundation, Band Boosters, FFA Alumni, and the community sponsorship of the student homebuilding program, to name a few.
The largest city in eastern Oregon, Hermiston maintains over 17,000 residents and is located in northeastern Oregon, just south of the Oregon-Washington border. The Hermiston School District boundary encompasses over 150 square miles of the Columbia Basin region, whose unique geographical area offers an extended growing season and a variety of agricultural crops and products. The immediate Hermiston area has been able to diversify its economy with food processing, cold storage, warehousing and distribution facilities. In addition, Hermiston’s close proximity to the Columbia River Gorge and the surrounding Blue Mountains make it an ideal place for outdoor activities, and one of the fastest growing and economically charged communities in all of Oregon.
Who Are We?
- Annually, all schools will meet “on track” academic growth targets, as measured by the Oregon Department of Education (grades 3-11) and easyCBM assessment system (grades K-2).
- Maintain sound fiscal stewardship of community resources consistent with board policies.
- Annually increase post-secondary accessions by 3 percent, as measured by the number of students choosing collegiate (two year or four year programs), vocational, apprenticeship or military training immediately following high school.
- The uniqueness of all and the value of diversity
- Fostering self-esteem, trust, and respect
- A collaborative process involving all stakeholders
- Encouraging risk-taking, consistent with these core values
- Reflection and self-renewal
- A rigorous academic experience with high achievement expectations
- A wide range of programs to meet the academic and social needs of all students
- Fully integrated and effective use of technology
- Exemplary staff who continually reflect on their practice, learn and progress
- Use of research-based, best practices teaching methodologies to enhance student learning experiences and the application of concepts
- Faculty who are supportive of community involvement and willing to assist parents in their efforts to help children learn
- A qualified Board of Education and Administration focused on adopting policies to support best teaching practices, student achievement, and fiscal responsibility
- An Administration open to community involvement
- A strong and inclusive leadership team that fosters problem solving and continuous improvement
- Professional development to enhance the skills and knowledge of people in the organization
- Continual monitoring of each student’s progress through the use of rigorous and meaningful measurement processes
- A robust assessment system that supports data-driven decision-making
- Broad-based business and stakeholder support
- Involvement and partnerships
- Responsive to the needs of parents
- A teaching and learning environment that is physically safe and emotionally secure
- A stimulating learning environment that meets individual student needs and focuses on the whole child
- A culture of respect and connectivity within a professional community
- Comprehensive programs across all campuses
* as of 08/01/2014
Meet Our Administration